Thursday, January 17, 2013

SEEDS OF CHANGE

Allium seeds vegetables from the dried flower head.
   Every year I harvest the fruit vegetables and flowers that we grow here in Lincoln, but I also harvest the plants for next years in the form of seeds. Generations of gardeners, farmers, and  horticulturists have started the next year by picking seeds from the plants that grew and produced well. Unfortunately many seed companies today have genetically engineered their plants so the seeds will not grow beyond the first generation, which in turn causes farmers to buy new seed every year. So I start by  making sure the seeds I buy are not genetically modified and then my harvest is secure.


Allium head and Okra seed pods
The biggest concern when saving seeds for the next years planting is to dry them and keep them dry. I make sure they are spread out so air can get around them, I use a plate or cookie sheet or even a screen from an old window and keep the seeds from touching each other. I also find a dry spot in the house with no strong drafts. The top of my refrigerator works well; the generator in the fridge creates a little heat and dries them quickly. Attic space was traditionally used: it's nice and dry and warm, you just need to make sure there are no mice. They love seeds!
Okra seeds and pod
   After your seeds are fully dry you need a dry place to store them until it is time to plant. I like envelopes or tins.  I found these tins at TX Maxx for $8.99 and I reuse them every year, I also like to give them as gifts to my gardener friends, I make flower or salad mixes of seeds and a how-to planting note with the little tin wraped up.




















No comments:

Post a Comment