Thursday, January 17, 2013

VIVA LA THROW PILLOW!


WHY DO MEN HATE THROW PILLOWS?
   In my experience most men hate throw pillows (most men, not all). It seems there is a need for comfort on the part of women that men don't require. My husband can sleep on a bus station bench all night if need be, and has on occasion. I have no scientific evidence for this dichotomy of the sexes, but, based strictly on the anecdotal evidence, men don't need to "nest" the way women do.

Well here is a project that might make men come round to the throw pillow.........
.......maybe..........DIY French patriot  pile........Hipster bean bag.......or whatever you want to call it. 

I'm a bit of a Francophile, so this was an attractive idea to me. You could also use a British Union Jack which is very popular right now or an Americal flag seems obvious, or run with your own nationality or symbol. Design-wise, these flags have a strong graphic, almost pop art quality. Any time you bring a strong graphic symbol into interior design it can have an edgy, urban or industrial feel, like advertising as art, and even convey a sense of irony, which permeates so much of design and art today. 

I started with 18 French flags about a foot long, printed on a smooth cotton.





I stitches up this pile of French flags that were already closed on three sides so I just filled them with foam, pinned them closed,  and hand stitched them up.





 I used the filler foam from this bean bag chair and then topped it with the pillows.





   I haven't seen my man lounging on this yet but it looks like a good place to drink a beer, watch the game or at least have a pillow fight!!!

VIVA LA DIFERENCE !!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment